Early Mathematics Task Force
Convening and Membership
The Early Mathematics Task Force was convened in February 2017 by the Michigan Association of Intermediate School Administrators (MAISA) General Education Leadership Network (GELN), an organization of directors of education services from 56 ISDs across Michigan. Launched in partnership with the Michigan Department of Education, the Early Mathematics Task Force includes representation from PreK-12, ISDs, and educational organizations including:
- MI Department of Education
- MI Association of Mathematics Teachers of Education
- MAISA Early Childhood Administrators’ Network
- MI Association of School Administrators
- MAISA General Education Leadership Network
- MI Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- MAISA Mathematics Leadership Team
- MI Assessment Consortium
- MI Elementary and Middle School Principals Association
- MI Association of Computer Users in Learning
- MI Mathematics and Science Center Network
In addition, the task force includes several Michigan-based faculty members from institutes of higher education: Grand Valley State University, Michigan State University, and University of Michigan Ann Arbor.
See the complete roster of Early Mathematics Task Force members.
Task Force Leadership
The task force is led by co-chairs Kathy Peasley, Ph.D., Assistant Superintendent, Gratiot-Isabella ISD, and Dana Gosen, Ph.D., Oakland Schools. The pair bring over 45 years of combined educational experience as well as strong school-based and academic experiences.
Vision for Task Force
- Create a cohesive direction for mathematics education in Michigan
- Develop a common understanding of how to strengthen early mathematics instruction across the state
- Inform practice, professional learning, school improvement plans
- Enhance existing instruction
- Create a high functioning stakeholder task force
- Support the task force in establishing and executing goals and strategies
- Strengthen the focus on strong core instruction
- Inform mathematics teaching and learning practices
- Provide leaders with knowledge and skills to connect this work with continuous improvement
Joanne Hopper, Ed.D.
Next Task Force Meeting
Mathematics Task Force Meeting 8:30 AM to 4:00 PMMathematics Task Force MeetingJun 158:30 AM to 4:00 PMMELG, MASB BoardroomEarly Mathematics Task Force